In an oversaturated market and ever-growing competition, brand positioning is essential. This is a powerful tool aimed at developing a unique image of the company, it will broadcast all the values, benefits, and also beneficial offers to consumers of goods or services.
Brand positioning is an effective online promotion strategy, which is based on the key principles for the company and determines the place that a given product or service will occupy in the minds of buyers. Brands presented without positioning will be targeted at everyone at once, so they are sifted out by the buyer in a separate group, he will pay attention to them last.
What is brand positioning?
Comprehensive brand promotion is difficult to imagine without its positioning. It will help you take a more advantageous competitive position. Hence, positioning plays a primary role in brand building. The brand life cycle combines four stages: development, creation, development, and aging. Positioning occurs at the first stage of brand building – the development stage, that is, simultaneously with the definition of a brand strategy, the creation of a brand, logo and packaging. Actually, the concept of “positioning” is defined as the process of creating a position for a brand in the market and in the minds of consumers, which happens by creating a brand name, its image, service standard, guarantees, packaging and method of delivery.
A brand is a specific name, symbol, expression, design decision, sign, word, or a combination of these to identify the product of a specific selling company, which will help to successfully stand out from competitors. In a broad sense, a brand is considered as a product or service together with their parameters, a set of characteristics, expectations, associations that the consumer perceives and endows them with, as well as promises of various benefits that brand owners will give consumers. In simple terms, the brand creates a “mental label” that consumers “stick” to the product, as well as the meaning that the creators have in mind.
The need to position a certain brand
Brand positioning is influenced by various internal and external factors and should not be carried out in isolation from the brand itself. It is important to remember that each brand has its own industry, functional, emotional limitations in the eyes of consumers. Going beyond these restrictions means exposing your business to the risk of consumer rejection and, accordingly, the risk of losing significant financial resources. A modern enterprise in such conditions should pay special attention to the formation of a brand strategy for positioning its trade mark. It allows:
- establish a stronger contact, as well as build the trust of your target audience;
- correct and clearer brand perception;
- to convey to the consumer the main ideas, as well as the corporate values of the company;
- speak in a language understandable to the audience;
- to distinguish your unique offer from those on the market;
- create associations that will help the consumer to remember the proposed product.
A brand that has a competent positioning will become not only noticeable, but also memorable.
Product positioning strategies
Positioning is a strategic procedure that requires a comprehensive analysis and includes several stages. The choice of strategy will depend on the type of goods, the position of competitors in the market, the capabilities and position of the company itself. There are these types of strategies:
- By consumer. This positioning works for products designed for a specific segment of consumers. The proposals are distinguished both by a set of characteristics and by one property. This is a good option for so-called niche products, as well as companies that produce products for specific consumers. In advertising, you can use stories with famous personalities, the image should evoke associations with the brand.
- Coming from competitors. A certain segment has its own market leader, in order to lure away some of its consumers, it is important to indicate its advantages and compare them. It is necessary to identify competitors’ weaknesses, as well as specific needs that have not been fully met. These can be terms of delivery, maintenance, service, etc. After that, it’s easy to show that your company is the best here. This will help to present yourself from a new position.
- By a certain category. When developing each new product or service with unique properties, it should be borne in mind that the buyer needs a solution to the problem. This audience object demonstrates a new way that will help you cope with the already formed old tasks and become a leader in a specific category.
- By price. Price plays an important role when purchasing a product. The engagement rate for selection can be low or high. At the same time, buyers are guided by not only emotional, but also rational perception when buying. For example, a buyer will spend one hundred percent less time to choose a washcloth or a washcloth than buying a real estate or a car. Also, depending on the category of goods, the approach changes, in one case it is more practical, in the second, internal sensations play an important role. The price factor is realized in different ways. Get more for a higher price – such an audience focuses primarily on product quality and is ready to pay any amount of money for a brand and service. Buy more for less money – these are, as a rule, promotional offers and inexpensive goods.
- By attribute. A certain specific feature is highlighted, special properties of products that will help to stand out from competitors. For new brands, this is the most effective strategy. It is helpful for a wider audience to touch on the problem that your product solves. When a person has already clicked on advertising, it makes sense to demonstrate the features of a particular product or service.
- By benefit. It is necessary to show what benefit a potential buyer will receive if he buys a product. The target audience needs to convey emotional as well as rational motives for buying. Since the competition is quite high, it is difficult to find absolutely unique benefits. Of all those selected, the strongest must be left. This will be an ideal model for the formation of a new market or the launch of a certain group of goods.
- By prestige. The buyer, along with the product, receives luxury, service, and prestige, which is what he is willing to pay for. Any product or service can be in the luxury segment. For example, it can be organic fruit, business class aircraft, etc.
If you have any difficulties or doubts about choosing the right strategy, our team of specialists will help you solve any problems. Our every action and decision is based on actual work results and brand positioning experience.
Stages of brand positioning
For positioning, you need to get to know your audience well, perform a comprehensive analysis of competitors, as well as the product itself. This will help make an offer that will remain in the subconscious and heart of consumers for a long time. There are several important stages of positioning:
- Determination of the current position, which will help to understand where we are, what resources are at our disposal and where to go next. It will be necessary to create a portrait of the target audience, evaluate it from the perspective of the product (values, properties, advantages, distinctive features). Reviews, audience behavior in social networks will help in this matter. It is important to identify barriers to the product as well as consumer insights.
- Identification of competitors. It is important to identify real competitors that will lay claim to the interests of your consumers, to study their strengths and weaknesses. You can use online services, track advertising campaigns, become a mystery shopper. As a result, you need to determine the main trade offers (offers) for the audience, using important information to choose your positioning strategy.
- Highlight the main characteristics that confirm the brand’s uniqueness. These are the features and reasons for choosing a particular product that customers cannot get anywhere. This will become the foundation for building a brand and choosing the right market positioning. It is necessary to offer a truly unique solution and thus achieve leadership.
As a result, a message should be formed that is understandable for a specific target audience. Brand positioning, online promotion, advertising campaigns – these and a number of other marketing solutions in combination will help to form not only the image of the company, but also its attitude to the object.
Positioning is necessary not only when creating a new product, but also in a competitive environment, changes in demand for a service or product. If there is no positioning, the brand image will be indirectly formed, moreover, it will not be quite the same as we would like.
If you need competent brand positioning, contact our managers by any available method or communication channel. A non-standard approach to solving problems, combined with high quality services, allows you to complete the tasks as soon as possible for the client. This minimizes the time spent on promoting a new product and brand.