A company without a name is not a company, so online business promotion should start with naming. This term refers to the procedure for creating a name for a company, product or service that will reflect the essence of the business. In addition, it must be recognizable and stand out from the competition. The buyer also pays attention to the name, so a beautiful wording is indispensable.
It is important to understand that cool naming is not a magic pill that will immediately increase income, but an important tool for promoting a business in a competitive market. Naming development is a rather difficult task that requires knowledge, creativity and experience in the advertising industry. It can take more than a week to find one winning title. You shouldn’t skimp on important brand attributes, contact the trusted specialists of our agency.
What functions does naming perform and who needs it?
If the name is chosen correctly, it will solve a number of important tasks:
- Draws the attention of a specific target audience. Among the many identical wordings, only a bright name can attract the attention of a buyer.
- Creates trust. A memorable name, which will be liked, inspires confidence in the client.
- Fixes the image of a product or service in the client’s memory. When the right moment comes, he will definitely remember this particular sentence.
- Protects goods from counterfeiting and illegal use.
- Strengthens the position of a given product or service in the market.
- Corresponds to the concept of the brand under study.
Naming is needed by newcomers to the market who are planning an advertising campaign, manufacturers who have decided to launch a product on the market and stand out favorably, as well as companies conducting presentations and large-scale promotions aimed at expanding the consumer audience.
Stages of naming
Each individual case is unique in its own way. When developing naming, a lot will depend on the target audience, the specifics of the market and, of course, the object of study itself. Naming includes a number of sequential stages:
- A detailed study of the object, which is selected a new name. It should fully correspond to the company’s strategy and express the main essence of the business. Naming can turn all characteristics of a product into benefits.
- Detailed study of the target audience. At this stage, it is worth figuring out who the buyer is, what problems such people have and how to solve them with the help of a new proposal.
- Competitor analysis, which includes analysis of products, services, promotion strategies. It is important to offer something completely new and stand out from the competition.
- The style of the title, which will completely depend on the language of the target audience. Education, professions, interests, hobbies of potential buyers – all this affects the naming.
- Product promotion channels also need to be considered. It can be the Internet, television, leaflets, printed publications.
- If you plan to use the name outside of Ukraine, then it should sound good and be easy to understand in other languages.
- The style of the title may be based on existing words or you will need to come up with new ones.
- Direct generation of titles. All the information that has been collected is systematized, and a general picture is obtained, according to which a brainstorm is being conducted. A large number of titles are being formed.
- Choice. The resulting list of names is reduced to a minimum and the brightest and most suitable among them are selected. At the same time, attention is paid to the ease of perception, the uniqueness of the chosen name. Phonetic, lexical and morphological checks are carried out.
- The final stage is checking the names already created and entered into the database. If no matches are found, then the name can be safely left, otherwise you need to continue searching.
Conventionally, all these stages can be divided into 4 procedures: marketing (market research, competitors, consumer and target audience research), linguistic (name generation and analysis of its euphony), project planning (team formation, generation of ideas, their analysis, project completion) and legal (verification and registration of the name).
Different approaches and strategies are used for naming. The most popular among them:
- Fantasy name – used when you need to include the emotions of the consumer of a product or service. This is the key to the company’s success. For example, no one knows what Nestle is or how Yandex is translated. Fantastic names are well remembered by ear and sound unusual. They are literally included in the consumer’s mind. At the same time, it is important not only to sound good, but also to look original, then the brand will definitely become popular. Another plus of the invented fancy names is their uniqueness, such a domain will definitely not be occupied by anyone. On the other hand, the name will be difficult to get approval from customers and management, so it will take a lot of arguments in its favor. The consumer will manage his imagination himself and create a bouquet of his own associations.
- A symbolic name is a way to bring something fresh to the market. Such a name would suit today’s target audience. For example, life. Laconic, energetic and understandable name.
- Descriptive naming – used when you need to maintain anchor to an underlying strong brand. This name will be functional when you need to bring a new product to market. The main thing is that competitors do not use it.
- Compound names that allow you to combine several successful words. For example, PALMOLIVE is a combination of two roots at once – “palm”, as well as “olive” or Starbucks. This play on words will help to achieve an excellent result, the main thing is to give the brand meaning, as well as highlight the benefits of the products.
- Names – Metaphors are used when you need to create an image of a brand that goes beyond the positions offered by the company. A striking example of a metaphor name is Apple. This name is primarily about positioning. the name is not only understandable, but also carries an emotional load.
- Associations with emotions. For example, “Doctor’s” immediately evokes associations, and we immediately understand that this is a sausage.
- Latin names sound solid, they are unique, they allow you to buy any domain, but they are more difficult to choose. For example, Alliant, Zilliant.
- The use of a person’s name – works in the case when you need to transfer the positive features of the characters to the product, but there are many restrictions.
- Name provocation allows you to stand out from other competitors. For example, CATERPILLAR is a caterpillar and at the same time the name of agricultural machinery. When creating such a name, you need less pathos and more creativity.
When choosing a suitable naming strategy, you need to take into account the individual characteristics of the project. You can start developing a name on your own, but it will take a lot of time, and besides, you do not always have the necessary experience and knowledge to come up with an interesting name. The best option is to trust a specialized company. We immerse ourselves as much as possible in the specifics of the business, perform a comprehensive analysis so that online marketing promotion using naming is effective and efficient.