Unfortunately, in the post-Soviet space, the development of a marketing strategy is not taken seriously. Oftentimes, neither business owners nor marketers understand why this is needed.
Basically, modern marketing looks like this:
They make a website, as they personally see it, based on feelings, or mindlessly copy from competitors.
They are trying to catch up traffic and convert it into sales.
In this case, the lion’s share of marketing comes down to:
Increasing the efficiency of individual traffic sources: contextual and targeted advertising, SEO, Email, etc.
Improving website conversion and reporting traffic and sales from analytics.
Only this approach helps to make money only for agencies, and not for clients in the long run.
The main mistakes when trying to develop a strategy
1. Strategies without implementation in the consulting format. A strategy is ordered from a market leader, but it turns out to be prohibitively expensive. You decide to turn to less expensive contractors. Everything would be fine, only such contractors do not have enough competence, and they will implement someone else’s strategy by virtue of their knowledge and skills. Naturally, such contractors, even seeing the strategy in front of them, will not be able to read the thoughts of its authors and implement it at the same level. Where it leads? The answer is obvious.
2. Lack of preparation. It is impossible to build a solid house without a solid foundation. As well as it is impossible to create a strategy without a lot of audits, audience and market research, product and sales, competitors and, of course, establishing internal business processes in the company.
3. Strategy = media plan. When you are given an alleged strategy, make sure that this is not a banal media plan, with a miscalculation of the budget for clicks and hypothetical conversions on the site. Please note that the media plan is just part of the strategy that is responsible for the metrics of paid traffic sources. A strategy is a plan for six months and years.
4. Imaginative creativity instead of strategy. This “approach” of agencies is designed for the emotions of the client and therefore often works. Except for the beautiful design, banners and how it will all be delivered to the audience, there is nothing behind it. The specifics are completely absent.
5. Instant sales growth in the first month. The goal of such offers is to make sales quickly, by all means, using paid traffic sources. Is it possible to achieve an increase in calls to the company using this method? – Yes. But in the future, increase profits, convey the value of the product and the professional image of the company to the end consumer – No … Why? – Yes, because primary sales are a negligible part of the customer’s journey of interaction with your company. This supposedly strategy will not allow you to track any bottlenecks in the client path, or feedback. Therefore, this path has no prospects. By the way, if you want to understand in detail how to build a user journey or a customer journey map, we recommend that you read our article.
6. Goals taken from the ceiling, based on an unconfirmed wishlist. We need 100,500 sales. How can you set goals without understanding at least: average check, LTV, transaction duration, additional sales, competitor analysis and current indicators of Internet activity? Although what I mean. Most of them do not have CRM, CallTracking, they even have banal analytics, if they have, then they are not configured.
7. SuperMan is a loner. It is impossible to build a full-fledged strategy for one person, because one person is physically unable to simultaneously be well versed in all marketing tools, website design, web analytics and automation. Therefore, if you entrust the strategy to one person, then the output will be a strategy that works well only in the segment in which the specialist understands.
8. Oops … Forgot … The strategy did not take into account: CRM and telephony in conjunction with the sales department. When these points are not taken into account, there is no understanding of full reporting and the effectiveness of Internet marketing in general.
9. Lack of a detailed implementation plan. At the output, there is no document with a clear plan for the consistent implementation of the strategy, namely:
It is not clear which tools, in which sequence to use, and how exactly.
It is not clear how the tools will be interconnected.
Lack of budget planning.
It is impossible to understand growth trends and milestones during strategy implementation.
If you would like to understand how an industry-standard systematic email marketing strategy is created, enjoy the next article.